Installation of the Collector's Guide:
For Win3.1 or Win95: See instructions inside CD-ROM Jewel case insert.
For Macintosh & PowerPC: Use the install instructions below.
1. Insert CD_ROM into CD-ROM drive.
2. Double click on POSTWAR CD-ROM icon that appears on the desktop.
3. Double click on Postwar Guide Installer to install. Follow instructions.
4. When completed, a Postwar Guide Icon is installed on the Macintosh/PowerPC hard drive in MAC_LION (default name) or into the user specified directory (if user over-ride gave a different directory name).
5. To launch the Postwar Guide, double click on the Postwar Collectors Guide icon in that directory. [If you installed Large version, then double click on Postwar Collectors Guide Large icon to start the program.]
Tips for getting started with the Collector's Guide
For full information about using the Postwar Collectors Guide read all information in the How To & Help section of the Guide which is selected on the PostWar Screen. (the same information is contained in the Help.htm file with can be read using an Internet Browser.)
· When the cursor changes from an Arrow to a Hand, the area under the cursor is active. You can click on that area to see more information.
· To move to Next or Previous screen of text or train items, click on Right or Left Winged Arrow on top right of screen (or use right/left arrow keys).
· To go Back to a previous screen level,
· Click on the small circle Conductor icon in lower right corner of Train Item screen get access to the Conductor's ticket containing:
Tracking & Printing Collection(s) [you can have multiple collections]
1. To add items to Your Collection:
2. To save an entry you must cycle through the entire condition list:
3. To print your collection, click on the small circle Conductor icon in lower right corner of Train Item screen to open the Conductor's ticket
4. To start another collection under new name or switch back to previous collection name:
Searching the Collector's Guide - you can find an entry by number or name
· select Search/Find in Conductor's Ticket OR use shortcut keys Alt F/Alt G
· OR click on a number displayed in the item description or picture caption on the Train Item screen.
· At prompt "Enter a word or item number" enter any word or Lionel® item number. Hit the Search button or hit enter.
For faster searches: go into the category of the item & start search there.
In searches, ? matches any single character; * matches multiple characters.
To find all 6464 boxcars, type: 6464*, to find items 2400 to 2499, type: 24??
USING ORACLE POWERBROWSER ON WINDOWS 3.1
Win3.1 users who do not use the internet may not have a winsock.dll. If not, the winsock.dll on the CD-ROM can be used to allow browsers, like Oracle's Powerbrowser, to be used without connecting to the internet. Copy winsock.dll in the CD-ROMs pb folder to your PC's browser (PowerBrowser) folder (typically on c:). This version of winsock.dll CANNOT be used when accessing the Internet. To access the Internet, install a full Winsock.dll (supplied with Win95 or browser) & remove this version (unless install overwrote it).
On the PC, the ALT key is used for many of the special functions. On
the MAC, the OPTION key should be used where ALT is indicated.
|ESCAPE||Go Back, Return to Earlier Screen|
|ALT G||Find Again (Repeats previous search)|
|ALT P||Print the Screen|
|ALT Q, CTRL Q||Quit and Exit Program|
|ALT Z, ALT X||Music On, Music Off|
|RIGHT ARROW||Next Page of Text, or Next Train Item Page|
|LEFT ARROW||Previous Page of Text, or Next Train Item Page|
|ALT T||Go to Tour & Print Collection Page|
|UP ARROW||Next Variation|
|DOWN ARROW||Previous Variation|
|F1, F2, F3, F4, F5||Show Picture 1, 2, 3, 4, OR 5|
|F6||Start / Stop Slide Show (of Train Item Pages)|
This cycles through all items in the current category. (example: in Diesels/F-3, press F6 & program will cycle through all F-3 entries.)
To stop: press F6 again & wait 1 minute.
|ALT A, ALT D||Show Arrival / Departure Date Catalog|
|ALT C||Show / Hide the Conductor|
|ALT M||Show My Collection|
|ALT R||Show Guide's Rarity Information|
|ALT S||Go to Subcategory Information|
|ALT V||Show Guide's Value/Price Information|
|F1 - PreWar Standard Gauge Era||F3 - PostWar Era|
|F2 - PreWar O Gauge Era||F4 - Modern Era|
On the PostWar Ticket Page, F1 - F4 (from top to
bottom) can be used to select from the four tickets (History, Trains, Help,
On the Train Yard Page, the function keys F1 - F12 can be used to select the Train Category on the left half of the screen.
|F1 - Diesels||F7 - Rolling Stock 2|
|F2 - Electrics||F8 - Boxcars|
|F3 - Steamers||F9 - Accessories|
|F4 - Passenger Cars||F10 - Sets|
|F5 - Cabooses||F11 - Misc|
|F6 - Rolling Stock||F12 or Escape - Back to Main Station|
After selecting a Train Category on the Train Yard Page, the number keys (1 - 9) can be used to select a Subcategory from the right half of the screen. For example in the Diesels Category, 1 selects Alcos, 2 selects Budd Cars, etc.
For Technical Help
For assistance in using the CD-ROM, online help is included on the CD-ROM
in HTML format in the HELP folder. Open the HELP.HTM file in the HELP folder using an Internet Browser (or Oracle PowerBrowser on CD-ROM). Some type of Internet Browser must be installed to open the .html file properly. The install program gives the option to install Oracle PowerBrowser if desired.
Windows 3.1 users can also run the HELP16.EXE program located in the PC_LION folder on the CD-ROM. Windows95 users can also run the HELP32.EXE program in the PC_LION folder. Macintosh users can refer to the HELP application in the MAC_LION folder on the CD-ROM.
1. Carefully read information in How To & Help on the PostWar screen in Collectors Guide or use Browser to read help.htm
2. Check web site "www.prairiemm.com" for updates, information, fixes, and yearly updates for Collectors Guide (price & rarity) information.
3. Contact Prairie Multimedia, Inc.
31W165 Smith Rd. Wayne, IL 60184
Windows 3.1 Users
Some Win3.1 Systems encounter a problem where the train pictures are not displayed. This problem can be fixed by running the fixpic31\fixpic31.exe program which is provided on the CD-ROM.
CD-ROM VERSION: 1.3 March 1997